Wednesday, September 21, 2011

With Age Comes Wisdom....

As a kid, I can recall asking my mother "why" when she would make an executive decision on my behalf. The "why" was usually because I did not agree with her assessment. I know that I made this inquiry on more than one occasion and can say that each and every time her answer was "because I have lived longer than you and I know best." I didn't quite understand her reply but knew that she was the boss.  Therefore, I accepted her declaration and went about my business. Fast forward to raising my girls. Each time either of them ask me "why" (because they do not agree with my decisions made in their regard) I also respond with "because I have lived longer than you and I know best."  It hit me recently that I now fully understand exactly what my mother meant all those years ago. As it applies to my own life, I don't so much think it's because I have lived longer than my girls, I think it's because I have matured to a point in my life in which I can see passed the right now or the immediate tomorrow. It's having experienced life in ways that have given me perspective and the clarity necessary to help them make better decisions.  Am I wise? Not even close. But I live and learn everyday and hope to share these truths with Ashley and Allison as they follow behind me.....

No comments:

Post a Comment