Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Grocery Shopping and The List.....

Chris has laughed at me repeatedly over the last two days. However, it is I who has had the last laugh!! Sunday afternoon, as I was cooking dinner, I began taking a survey of the grocery situation and started a list for the store.  I thumbed through several cookbooks looking for new menu ideas and recipes I would like to try. As I was writing all of this down, it hit me! An Excel spreadsheet would be perfect for this.  I can create a "staple" list which contains items we purchase on a regular basis and then add new items based on our menu for the week. Soooo, I took my idea to the computer and found the perfect template for completing my vision of organization. After finalization of my pantry and refrigerator survey, I was ready to input the information into my handy dandy spreadsheet. I had everything sorted perfectly. Produce, Dairy, Meats, etc. I checked and double-checked my recipes to assure that all the ingredients I would need for cooking these tasty dishes were included on my list. I was so pleased with myself and this stroke of genius. Upon finishing my list, I printed it and presented to Chris. It was a scene like that of a first grader coming home with her first art project. I was so proud.  Chris looks at the list for a moment and then very calmly looks at me and says "really? you put our grocery list in a spreadsheet?" I was thrilled and said "yes, this way when we shop it will be so much easier, quicker and hopefully we won't forget anything."

This is when he began to laugh uncontrollably. I did not find any humor at all in my beloved creation. At this point, I was still revelling in my extreme ingenuity and Chris is still giggling like a little girl. Apparently, he found this little project of mine cute and quite endearing.  Ahhh! But wait! My sweet husband put the list to work today. He took it and grocery shopped! He said that the list came in quite handy. He only had to call me twice for clarification and improvised on anything else in which we have not had occasion to discuss my labels for certain grocery items. For example: I actually call evaporated milk by its brand name rather than what it is...i.e. PET milk.....this confused my dear, dear husband so he bought evaporated milk AND sweetened condensed milk (which I call Eagle Brand milk....again it's brand name.)

I am thrilled that Chris is willing to do the grocery shopping when he is home and while I'm at work. It is a tremendous help to me BUT he should recognize that he is married to a grocery list making genius....just saying!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment