Sunday, December 18, 2011

Merry Christmas to My Sweet Grandmothers

Busy day today. Chris, the girls, Ashley's boyfriend, Zach and I drove to Georgia to have Christmas with each of my grandmothers. My maternal grandmother lives in an assisted living facility and we visited her first. Upon our arrival and entrance into the building, we walked around a corner and she was coming down the hall to greet us. I wish that I had a picture of the way her face lit up when she saw us. But then again, she has always been so excited to see her grandchildren when any of us would go for a visit. We sat with her at what she called the "bingo" table and listened to her talk about playing and winning. She also talked about how it didn't seem like Christmas to her because she hasn't been baking cakes for the last two weeks in preparation for the holiday. I couldn't help but reflect on past Christmases spent visiting at her house. Our visit with her came to an end much to soon. I hated to leave her there. It seemed as if we were leaving her there all alone; however, when we left she was rallying her friends for a round of bingo. We then headed to see my paternal grandmother. She lives with my aunt and, as I suspected, she lit up like a roman candle when we walked through the door.  She loves to have her family around her. We ate and visited. It was a wonderful time. Again, it was much to short. 

In case it wasn't obvious a couple of blogs back, I am feeling very nostalgic this Christmas. As I get older and family becomes more precious to me than ever, I wish that I could have them closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment