Sunday, April 1, 2018

Coca-Cola Congealed Salad

As Easter Sunday comes to a close, I sit here listening to the dishwasher run and the dogs eat their dinner. It has been a beautiful day filled with food, family and laughter. Almost the perfect day. Almost. 

While everyone was eating, I looked around my table at their happy faces. Each of them enjoying the meal I had prepared and chattering about this and that. I cooked a typical Easter meal complete with deviled eggs. This year Daddy requested a Coca-Cola congealed salad. Something my mother used to fix for family gatherings. I had never made one (not that it's hard) but felt it was important to fulfill his request.  Seriously, we are talking jello and a few other ingredients. Nothing gourmet but most certainly filled with love and memories. He was elated when he realized I had indeed made the dish. It was like putting a memory of my mother on a plate for him. He mentioned that he had not had the dish in years and had several servings. Watching him enjoy it made me happy and sad. Happy that he was enjoying it and sad that my mother could not make it for him. 

Our first Easter without her was bittersweet. I cannot describe the emotion as it was something other than sadness. I was not sad today but certainly felt the void of her absence. Tomorrow will mark 6 months since we lost her. Time is flying and life is moving forward. As it should, I suppose.





No comments:

Post a Comment